The Federation of Irish Beekeepers’ Associations (FIBKA) examination system is run by the Education Officer under the direction of the Examination Board; the Board which is made up of members from the FIBKA and the Ulster Beekeepers’ Association (UBKA) is appointed by the Executive Council of the FIBKA.
There are seven levels of examination: Preliminary, Intermediate, Senior, Intermediate Apiary Practical, Beemasters, Lecturer and Honey Judge examinations are held during the Summer Course at Gormanston and Preliminary and Intermediate examinations are also held at Provincial Centres.
The Lecturer’s examination takes place in the presence of three Examiners, one of whom is the invited Senior Gormanston Summer Course lecturer and also acts as the Extern Examiner.
The Intermediate Apiary Practical Examination, the Practical Beemaster’s Examination and the Apiary Practical component of the Senior Examination are arranged by the Education Officer and take place in the candidate’s own apiary during the beekeeping season and are conducted by two Examiners.
Recommended Book List for General Reading
(list is not exhaustive and does not purport to be a complete list)
- Anatomy and Dissection of the Honeybee – HA Dade
- Guide to Bees and Honey – T Hooper
- The Honey Bee Inside and Out – C Davis
- The Honey Bee Around and About – C Davis
- Study Notes (Various) – JD & BD Yates
- Breeding Techniques and Selection for Breeding of the Honeybee – F Ruttner
- Plants and Beekeeping – FN Howes
- The Biology of the Honey Bee – M Winston
- The Humble Bee – Sladen
- Managing Varroa – FERA(UK)
- Foul Brood Diseases of Honey Bees – FERA(UK)
- Control of Varroa – Goodwin and Eaton
- Beekeeping in Ireland A History – JK Watson
- The Buzz about Bees – J Tautz
- Bee, Hives and Honey – E O’Sullivan (FIBKA)
- Haynes Bee Manual – Claire & Adrian Waring
- Having Healthy Honeybees – John McMullan
- A Manual of Beekeeping- Wedmore
- Anatomy of the Honeybee – Snodgrass
- Encyclopedia of Beekeeping – Hooper & Morse
- Honeybee, Pests Predators & Diseases – Morse & Flotum
- Practical Beekeeping – Clive de Bruyn
- Honeybee Democracy – Tom Seeley
- The Wisdom of The Hive – Tom Seeley
- Communication among Social Bees – Lindauer